Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Because that would be the POLITE thing to do.

This morning while riding my daily escalator up at Wall Street, there was a slight snag as people used both sides of the escalator to stand still, not opening up a lane for the movers & shakers who like to walk while escalating. I can understand, if you happen to be one of those movers, or shakers, how it could be a slight inconvenience for you. However, one particularly brash rider standing 4 people deep on a stagnant side of the elevator interrupted my normally quiet elevation with this exchange.

"Excuse me, some people like to walk on this side"
Silence
"You could always just step to your right, people"
(The escalator was saturated, no possible way to step to your right.)
"Well, that would be the polite thing to do"
"I guess that doesn't apply for you guys"
He really laid the emphasis on thickly, and after those 4 quick thoughts of his, the ride had finished.

Bear in mind I was on the proper side of the escalator, so these comments were in no way directed at me. Regardless, I don't understand this man's frustration. He seemed genuinely upset, upset enough to vocalize his displeasure, that he couldn't get his 3 or 4 steps upwards in during the elevator ride. The whole ride takes no more than 8 seconds. If it's the speed that is your issue, you are getting to work at a maximum of 3 seconds earlier with those steps. If it's the exercise you crave, take the stairs.

But, far more interesting to me is the fact that he believed that the other riders were being extremely rude, while he was completely in the right. If he were being polite, as he was begging others to be, he should have kept his mouth shut and sucked it up. What's good for the goose, pal. I hope that man stubs his toe.

1 Comments:

Blogger Aras said...

I never get out of the way on escalators. People are free to jump over me. I would have like to tell that guy the stairs are available for walking.

3:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home