Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Further Adventures

*Full Disclaimer - I'm past my DetFest limit*

It is 4am while I start transcibing this, and I apologize for any spelling mistakes in advance (I've reviewed that sentence twice for quality control, and I am sipping a strong Lithuanian Beer (Stipriausas) as I type this).

So, the Baltic Sea. I didn't see much of it (pun intended). I arrived at Nida, this link probably doesn't work, but it is basically a spaghetti strap that hangs off of the west coast of the country. While waiting for some guests, we missed the prime time to be on the Baltic Sea which has breath-taking views and crystal blue waters that you would expect in the Caribbean (so I hear). Due to traffic, miscues, and other general time wasters, I arrived at 8p, culminating a trip that spanned across the entire countryeer.. I settled into my hotel room and cracked a beer.

After a short ferry ride, and a half hour bus ride, I arrived at a beach town called Preila. It being 9 O'Clock, I thought nothing of the promised 5k walk to the beaches of Nida on the Baltic Sea as the sun set between 11 and 12. Unfortunately, the walk took over two hours and the sun was escaping beyond the horizon as we scrambled for a place to eat. We eventually found a chain restaurant called 'Cili Pica' that would serve us, a Lithuanian Pizza shop. My group was walking significantly faster than the group behind us. We were well into devouring our personal (and, quite frankly, delicious) pizzas when we heard a call from behind. 'Hey Guys!', the sound of a now sprinting friend could be heard, almost Doppler Effect like, as she raced towards the outdoor space where we were shovelling down slices of pizza. The scene was totally out of a romantic comedy. She had been drinking tequila and she whole-heartedly smashed into the glass door. If she had broken her nose, it probably would have ceased to be funny, but she had some minor cuts, and a bloody, although unbroken nose, and once the hubbub had died down, it was generally agreed that the sound of the whole collision alone was priceless and will stick in my mind for some time to come.

We agreed with some poor taxi driver to pick 12 of us up at 10 lits (roughy 3.50) a piece to drive all of us back to our hotel in Prehlu, a ride of about 10 minutes, at 3am. The ride home was filled with Lithuanian drinking songs, songs of comraderie and easily hit notes. I wish that Americans had incantations such as these. All I can think of is 99 Bottles of Beer, and that hardly counts for anything. But these songs conveyed a spectacular amount of emotion and brotherhood that were impossible to ignore, despite not knowing the language. I will forever be jealous of our inability to unify on a whim in song.

Today was unfortunately, for lack of a better word, miserable. It was pouring out, and the entire expanse of the atmosphere was gray. I had to tred unprotected in downpour for roughly a half mile with Vaiva to get to the bus stop. We waited nearly an hour and a half for the bus to arrive. When it dropped us off, we had to experience a bone chilling ferry ride with a bunch of grumpy folk, and a half hour walk after that to arrive at the MicroBus station for a ride back across the country to Vilnius. MicroBus is unfortunately a misnomer. As opposed to being a small bus, which would by just about any standards be large, it is about a normal sized van. I rested my heavy eyelids for the 4 hour trek back across Lithuania.

When we got back me and Vai quickly ordered some cherborraki (spelling is almost certainly not correct) which is basically mystery meat deep fried with dough. Delicious. We scarfed those down with some wine, beer, and bacon buns and were set for the evening as it was well after 8 when we got back.

I am running out of steam as it is 4:15.

At night we traipsed around town and ended up at Broadwejus, a Lithuanian dance club named after our beloved Broadway in New York. Before I go further let me describe to you the Lithuanian women. Before I came, Vaiva explained to me that they were good looking. That is almost a hysterical understatement in retrospect. There are women with, prior to this visit, unimaginable beauty. I honestly can't imagine tea time here, someone would sprain their neck. Let me give you a quick description. There are women with legs taller than their bodies and eyes of electric blue that can split you in half. Obviously, word for word, that creature sounds horrifying. But let me tell you that there are women here that are simply sublime.

I am too tired to explain my trip to the club that I went to tonight, except that Lithuanians are probably among the poorest dancers in the world. Vaiva explained to me that it has progressed in leaps and bounds in the last 6 years. That fact is frightening. I have never seen dancing this poor since Freshman year in college at the Engineering frat. It was discombublated (spelling) and jerky and just unpleasant. I enjoyed several half liters of beer and headed back to her mom's apartment.

It is time to hit the hay (just kidding, Lithuanians sleep on beds). I will try and write tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home