Friday, November 18, 2005

Punks and Evolutionary Biologists

This Saturday I'm going to see one of my favorite bands, Bad Religion, perform at some small venue in New Jersey. I'm pretty excited because I haven't seen them perform in 3 or 4 years, I'm going to see my friend from college Ted (first person I met at college and first conversation was about Bad Religion) and get Vaiva to listen to some good punk music. She pretends she likes it but then she never listens. It'll be hard to ignore when there are 8 foot tall speakers several feet away.

I have a long history with the band. My first album was their Stranger than Fiction. They probably helped to raise my SAT Vocab score by 30-40 points. When I chose Cornell as my college, it was with hopes that some day I would meet the lead singer, Greg Graffin, who resides in Ithaca. I met him twice. Oddly enough, my friend Ted who is more obsessed with the band was my conduit to meeting the man in the first place. Ted wound up on the same Men's League Ice Hockey team as Greg Graffin. He assisted him on many goals. He got beers with him after games. He ate cake at his house for his 21st birthday. Why couldn't I have taken up hockey instead of Cross Country?

Aside from being one of the founders of Punk Rock in this country (they released their first EP before I was born, and first full length album several months after) Greg is also very close to completing, if not completed with, his doctorate in evolutionary biology from Cornell University. I read somewhere that he is one of the leading Bone Tissue Paleontologists in the world. I don't know if it is entirely true, or if it is, I don't know how many Bone Tissue Paleontologists there are on this planet. Either way, it's pretty sweet.

Anyway, tickets are still available for Saturday and can be reserved here for $20 if you want to see a great Punk Rock band perform, albeit past their prime. Their show Sunday in Times Square is already sold out (where they are headlining with Pennywise).

2 Comments:

Blogger Aras said...

Nice. That was my first Bad Religion album too. One of the ones that disappeared after parties.

Now I'll spend the rest of the day trying to remember that one song that I loved the most.

4:06 AM  
Blogger Jamson said...

Vaiva has my copy of Stranger than Fiction. As well as two other albums of theirs, which she never listens to. And a couple other punk albums to boot. I gotta get those back before you she heads over to your side of the world (Tomorrow).

I bet your favorite song was 'Hooray for Me (and Fuck You)'

6:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home