Thursday, November 17, 2005

Recorded Messages

Is anyone else getting phone calls on their cell phones from pre-recorded messages informing you of all the great things that you have won? I think I won some sort of car today. Two weeks ago: a dream vacation.

I don't understand who really buys into these, 'You've just won!' pre-recorded messages about prizes and contests that you won that you didn't know you were in the running for in the first place. I think I put my cell phone number on the Do Not Call list. But there are two problems. First, the people who call me are crafty enough to use restricted numbers, so there is no way I could possibly do anything about it. (Why do I pick up? A bunch of my friends have restricted house phones.) Secondly, and I'm not sure on this, I think the Do Not Call List may have simply been converted into a free source of numbers for these people to call. Since they call from restricted lines, how can they be identified as calling #'s from the DNCL? Then again, I'm not positive that the list has become such an auto-antonym (Thanks dictionary editor guy).

Either way, I hope I stop getting so lucky and winning all this good stuff soon. I wonder how they got my digits. If not from the Do Not Call List, I wouldn't be surprised if the cell phone outlet I brought it from wouldn't sell this kind of info to interested parties. They once tried to waive our cancellation fee from Verizon by telling the company my dad was shipped overseas to Iraq, and cancellation was not a breach of contract.

2 Comments:

Blogger Aras said...

those calls cost you money, right? you have to pay for incoming calls in the states, or you did when i was there last.

4:46 AM  
Blogger Jamson said...

Well, they cost you money if you end up going over your allotted minutes. Usually, you buy a plan that gives you a flat rate for X minutes, and then $X per minute if you exceed that. So, if I do go over, those annoying cold calling machines cost me a couple bills.

6:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home