Thursday, November 03, 2005

Punch Day

Today is my least favorite day of the week. No, not Thursday. Thursdays are great. It's also pay day for me. Which is sweeter than any normal Friday, Saturday, or Sunday (Football season included.)

Today is Punch Day. Let me assure you, it's not as bad as it sounds. As a daily commuter on the LI Double R I don't have to jump through the hoops that the lesser commuter has to. My interaction with the conductor involves me sleeping/reading/playing PSP and placing my wallet open on my right knee, proudly displaying my monthly ticket. "Thank you, sir" and "Great" are the comments I usually receive. But on Punch Day, things are totally different.

Like the normal patron, my monthly pass has to be 'punched' for reasons I have yet to determine. Once a week they disturb my normal state of aloofness and surprise me. "I need to punch that" they tell me, and being snapped into the real world throws me for a loop. My fingers fail as I try to slide my pass from it's compartment with my ID. I smile weakly as I hold up the whole process and the conductor taps his toe impatiently among the splatter of credit cards and other gizmos I keep in much easier to access areas of my wallet.

I think the conductor knows me now, and is no longer surprised at my futility on Punch Day. At least I've got 7 days before I've gotta do this whole thing again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home