Thursday, November 10, 2005

Kneel Young

I was at the Stingers last night celebrating my dear friend's 23rd birthday. Only one problem, he did not show up. But, even if he decided to poop his own party, I sucked in the scenery (and pints) and enjoyed Wild Wing Wednesday until 11PM, where wings are only 10 cents a pop (go with the teriyaki, they are a cut above) and they have this internet juke box with every song ever made on it.

Or so I thought.

Since its installation the internet juke box has been a smash hit. Way out of the park. On Friday and Saturday nights you have to wait two hours to hear your picks, but its worth it when you can make the entire bar listen to punk rock to hardcore to funk to Mexican Radio by Wall of Voodoo. I normally try to get a little of everything out of my $5.

Last night though, the queue was very short and my tunes got put on right away. I started out with Take 5 by David Brubeck, followed with a song by Xavier Rudd (a famous digeridoo-ist) then to Aces High by Iron Maiden. I then expected to play Hey, Hey, My, My by Neil Young.

But, despite the fact that they have 17 Iron Maiden albums, they do not have a single Neil Young album on there. I scrolled through at least 8 Neil Diamond albums to figure this out. This isn't happening to me. I had to look over my shoulder for Rod Sterling doing an intro to an episode of the Twilight Zone. For a second I thought maybe he spelled his name Kneel Young until I realized he wasn't a total jackass.

What gives? They had two albums from (in my opinion, vastly inferior) CSNY and one from Crazy Horse, but no Neil? It's Mr. Young's birthday on Saturday, which my friend Ted reminds me constantly as they share the same one (why he tells me this I do not know. I share a birthday with Herman Munster but I don't shout that from the tree tops). They had music by a guy who plays the digeridoo. They have Iron Maiden albums in the double digits. They have unheard of albums from Ithaca bands and other no names.

So does Neil Young hate Internet Juke Boxes or do Internet Juke Boxes hate Neil Young? Since I love the IJB so much, I don't think it matters. I can no longer support him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home